Followers & Campaign Games

100+ Followers! Whoohoo! Thank you all! I didn't really expect that so I didn't have anything special planned, but I will do something soon. A contest or blogfest or something. Stay tuned. But until then, some randomness before I run off to say hi to everyone.

Campaign Games: What's On Your Nightstand?
From the lovely Jessica Therrien

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how many books are on my nightstand. It's in desperate need of straightening.

Tagged:
Fellow campaigner Melissa Dean tagged me with the task of answering 11 questions and asking 11 questions to 11 more bloggers. Huzzah!

Melissa's Questions:
1. What type of genre do you enjoy writing the most?
Speculative Fiction, whether it's dystopia or space opera or urban fantasy. Depending on the scene, I get to be a biologist, sociologist, engineer, fashion designer, politician, theologian, lexicographer, etc.
2. Describe one of your characters.
Anika from Powerless is by far one of my favorite characters. (Pronounced an-ih-kuh, not ah-nee-kah.) In a world ruled by superhumans, she prides herself on not needing powers to survive. Instead she uses her brain to get out of or put herself in certain situations, whether it's making connections with the superhuman Guardians, gathering intel that she can use against them or talking her way out of spending the night in lock-up. She has plenty of faults, though. The other characters would describe her as foul mouthed, an uncouth slob and an emotional terrorist, (which she kinda is). But as much as they want to hate her, she's invaluable, dedicating her life to bringing down the superhuman monarchy and protecting other unapproved kids like her, both human and superhuman alike.
3. Who is your dream agent or dream publisher?
Oh, wow. Honestly, my agent/publisher soul mate would be anyone who sees the same potential in my work (and me) that I do.
4. How long have you been writing?
Since NaNoWriMo of 2010 when I scribbled out the horrendous atrocity that was the unfinished first draft of Powerless. I'm still somewhat of a n00b, but I haven't taken a day off since the first of that November, treating writing like I would any other job.
5. What writing accomplishment are you most proud of?
Winning second place in the third challenge last campaign. I literally jumped around house, squealed with happiness, tipped the pizza guy an extra ten dollars, and basically made a complete idiot of myself to everyone without eyesight and earshot.
6. If James Cameron directed a movie of your life, what would be the title?
Work In Progress
7. Plotter or Pantser?
Plonster. I hop back and forth between outlining every detail for certain books and scenes, and discovery writing for others.
8.  Where do you get your writing ideas?
My own whacked out imagination.
9. Are you a morning writer or a night writer? (Hehehe, get it? Night Writer! Knight Rider!)
I'm an any time I can focus writer, whether its in the morning when the older kids are at school and the younguns are napping/preoccupied or at night when everyone else is in bed.
10. What actor do you see playing a part in your novel/movie adaptation?
Saoirse Ronan was the actress I put in my reference folder for the other MC in Powerless, an illegal superhuman named Sara. She might not be short enough, though.
11. Favorite character in a book (not your own)?
Katniss Everdeen.

Edit: I got tagged again by Julia King.
1. What is your favorite childhood memory?
Most of my favorite childhood memories involve my grandparents and there are a ton of them, but one that sticks out this morning is a fishing trip when I was around ten years old. I caught a large mouth bass that was so big I needed help pulling it in. I clearly remember the smiles on my grandparents' faces and how proud I was when random fishermen slowed their boats to congratulate me on my catch. That day, I felt more like a fellow fisherman rather than just a little kid.
2. Who is your hero?
My grandparents, who passed down their faith, taught us the importance of family, how to be strong, that it's okay to cry, what real love is, that every person in this world deserves respect, to say yes ma'am, no sir, please and thank you, to help others, how to have fun, bait a hook, season a pan, make a bed.
3. What is the first thing that pops into your mind right now?
I would give anything for noise cancelling headphones so I didn't have to listen to the music they play on little kids' TV shows.
4. What is your favorite food?
 Fried fish and french fries.
5. If you were stuck in a "Groundhog Day" type experience, what crazy things would you do to shake up the day?
I'd drive down to New Orleans and really live it up: eat beignets, see all the sights, hang out at the aquarium, rent jet skis on the lake.
6. If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?
 A puma, because they're sneaky, strong and gorgeous, or a bird of prey.
7. Why did you start writing?
I had these stories in my head that I thought would go away after a while, (because I wasn't a writer) but a decade later they were still there and so was NaNoWriMo to teach me that anyone can be a writer.
8. Where is your favorite place to read?
 In my bedroom with the door locked.
9. What is your favorite book?
The Complete Works of Edgar Allen Poe... and the Hunger Games because it renewed my love for reading and writing YA.
10. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas. I love the decorations, having my house smell like sugar cookies, seeing my kids faces when Santa managed to get them things that they didn't even know they wanted and spending time with my entire massive immediate and extended family.
11. If you could go anywhere in the world (paid in full), where would it be?
Rome, no question. Between the sights, history, food, art, and the Vatican, I might not want to leave.

My Eleven Questions:
1. Who was your favorite author when you were a child?
2. If you could put yourself in any book, what would it be?
3. What is the best writing advice you ever read/received?
4. If you were a prescription drug, what would your list of side effects include?
5. Name an interesting trait you've given one of your characters.
6. Edit as you go or edit by the draft?
7. If you were to write an autobiography, what would it be called?
8. Introduce us to one of your villains.
9. How many novels have you written?
10. What is your favorite writing related website?
11. What other secret talents do you have?

And my eleven taggees are:

Can't wait to read your answers and get to know you all better.

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching 100! I'm reading The end of everything by Megan Abbot right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to have to go check that one out. ;)

      Delete
  2. Haha thanks for the tag! Will definitely be answering on my next post.

    Also, congrats on the 100 followers :D

    6. If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?
    A puma, because they're sneaky, strong and gorgeous, or a bird of prey.


    O_O Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a weak spot for felines and birds. ;)

      Delete
  3. You are SOOoo sweet! Thanks for the tag! And 100 is a great number... I took a deep breath at 100, like: "Okay, I'm not a newbie anymore. I can do this." <--LOL. This blogging community is awesome... I love how supportive everyone is! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I never imagined how friendly and helpful everyone would be.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on 100 followers!! I am one short with 99 followers. And I have to agree, The Hunger Games is amazing and I love Katniss's character! :)

    I will have to go answer my questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on now having over 100! And I can't wait to read your answers. :)

      Delete
  5. I totes agree with you on the dream agent bit. Anyone who loves to work is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your 100 followers! Awesome answers! It's so great getting to know you better. We have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on 100+ Followers! :)

    I love writing Speculative/Science Fiction for the same reason. There are just so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your term Plonster. I'm a Pantser through and through, but I wish I could be one of those who can plot things out beforehand.

    Saying Howdy from the YA Campaign group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the follow. :)

      Delete
  9. Answered *some* of your questions and thank you on my blog: http://morganshamy.blogspot.com/2012/02/my-turn.html <3 <3 <3 Thanks, babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, yay. Gotta go check those out. :)

      Delete
  10. So nice to meet you!

    Fantastic answers - gives me a little insight. I'm also a fan of Poe AND the Hunger Games. I'm finishing up the final book in the trilogy, hopefully tonight.

    We both like speculative fiction - do you like steampunk at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too! The only steampunk I own is the Leviathan series from Scott Westerfeld. I haven't read them yet, but they look pretty amazing. I'd love to hear any other steampunk suggestions. :)

      Delete
  11. Yay for 100 followers! That is a great moment of being in the blogopshere.

    Great answers!

    Edgar Allen Poe is great. His stories are creeptastic. *shiver* And I love the Hunger Games.

    You difinitely MUST go to Rome. I loved it there. Great history and food, especially the gelato. Nums.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! So excited about the campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally answered your questions on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FUN! I'm a new follower from the campaign. Nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the Tag! I love these types of things. :)

    My answers are here: http://michelle-pickett.blogspot.com/2012/02/lets-play-tag.html

    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the 100 followers!!!

    It looks like your blog is growing by the day!! Hope it continues!!!


    You got a pretty blog and a pretty profile pic!!

    with warm regards
    Another Author

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My Photo
Wife. Mom of 6. Nerd. Wanna-be Writer. I’m the weird chick skulking about the YA aisles of my small town library, raising a few eyebrows when I get overly excited about a new John Green novel or a dystopian future where people have to kill each other for funsies. When I'm not reading YA, I'm writing it.

Progress

BOP (Rewriting)
46000 / 95000 (48%)

Labels

#writemotivation (9) 2012 debut author challenge (1) 2012 reading challenge (1) advice (1) atom feeds (1) awards (1) awesomeness (3) beginnings (3) betas (1) blog fests (4) blog tours (2) blogfests (4) blogger (3) book releases (2) books (2) books for boys (1) Cairo (1) campaign challenge (4) campaign games (1) character development (5) characterization (1) contest (3) contests (3) critique partners (3) dust it off bloghop (4) endings (1) events (1) excerpt (2) fate (1) feedback (1) FFFFFFFest (1) flash fiction (5) focus (1) followers (1) fun (1) garth nix (1) giveaway (2) giveaways (1) goal check (3) goals (6) google reader (1) helpful articles (2) HISHE (1) hook (1) How It Should Have Ended (1) impatience (1) incarceron (1) insecure writer's support group (3) inspiration (1) kindle (1) library day (1) life (1) list of resources (2) loglines (1) lucky 7 meme (1) meme (1) mockingjay (1) move (1) NaNoWriMay (3) nanowrimo (5) networking (1) new year (1) novel ideas (2) novel writing (9) one sentence pitch (1) openings (2) oppression (2) oppression blog tour (1) oppression virtual launch party (1) originality or lack there of (1) patience (1) pep talks (1) peregrine (1) perfectionism (1) pitch (2) platform (1) plot (1) plot points (1) plot structure (4) plotting (2) poetry (1) powerless (1) progress (4) progress report (2) prose (1) qotm (1) questions (2) quotes (1) randomness (4) real author advice (2) reminders (1) resources (1) rewrites (3) romance (1) rss feeds (1) sapphique (1) save the cat moment (1) Sci-Fi Group (1) science fiction (1) SF List (1) TABOWA (1) tagged (3) taglines (1) Thank You's (1) ThanksGiving Contest (1) that doggone voice workshop (1) the backbone of a book (1) the catcher in the rye (1) the hunger games (2) the maze runner (1) truancy (1) tumblr (1) two sentence pitch (1) update (15) video (1) what I learned (1) what I'm reading (3) wordpress (1) workshops (1) worldbuilding (1) writeoncon (3) writer's conferences (1) writers platform building campaign (5) writing (1) YA Group (1)

My Favorite Blogs